We have various translated versions of the UW-QOLv4 and are most grateful to colleagues who have carried out forward and backward translation. Using the UW-QOLv4 in other countries will add to its cross-cultural validation and this work is ongoing. Those wishing to use the translated versions are advised to compare it themselves to the original UW-QOLv4 for cross reference. there are translations for Americas, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, French, Greek, German, Italian, Norwegian, Japanese, Chinese (both simplified and traditional), Hindi, Marathi, Swahili, Malay.
If you wish to help in other translations we would welcome your support. Please use the contact us section of our website.
The key to forward translation is to have it done by a native tongue [speakers langauge] (second/other language = english) and the key to backward translation is to have it done by a native english speaker (second/other language = base language of the tongue from where the translation is aimed for).
- D'cruz AK, Yueh B, Das AK, McDowell JA, Chaukar DA, Ernest AW. Validation of the University of Washington quality of life questionnaires for head and neck cancer patients in India. Indian J Cancer. 2007 Oct-Dec;44(4):147-54.
- Omoro SA, Fann JR, Weymuller EA, Macharia IM, Yueh B. Swahili translation and validation of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 depression scale in the Kenyan head and neck cancer patient population. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2006;36(3):367-81.
- Vartanian JG, Carvalho AL, Yueh B, Furia CL, Toyota J, McDowell JA, Weymuller EA Jr, Kowalski LP. Brazilian-Portuguese validation of the University of Washington Quality of Life Questionnaire for patients with head and neck cancer.
- Nazar G, Garmendia ML, Royer M, McDowell JA, Weymuller EA Jr, Yueh B: Spanish validation of the University of Washington Quality of Life questionnaire for head and neck cancer patients. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg; 2010 Dec;143(6):801-7, 807.e1-2.
- Kolator M, Mikuła B, Maciejczyk A, Zatoński T. Polish validation of the University of Washington “quality of life” questionnaire in patients with cancer of the larynx. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2019 Feb 23. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2018.12.013
- Adnane, C., Oubahmane, T., Adouly, T., Elhani, L., Rouadi, S., Abada, R. L., Roubal, M., and Mahtar, M. (2016). Cross-cultural and Moroccan Validation of the University of Washington Quality of Life Questionnaire for Patients With Head and Neck Cancer. Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 125(2), 151–159. https://doi.org/10.1177/0003489415601687
Thanks to Reem Emad - Radiation Oncologist, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University, Egypt.
Thanks to Professor Nabil Samman Hong Kong University
Thanks to Witjes, MJH
Thanks to Reza Hassani - Student Nurse Shahrekord University of Medical Science, Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari Province, Iran.
Thanks to Dr Belinda Nicolau University of Montreal
Thanks to Professor Dr. Dr. Henning Schilephake University of Goettingen
Thanks to Alexander D. Rapidis, University of Athens
Thanks to Professor Siddharth Shah, H.M.Patel Centre for Medical Care & Education, Gujurat, India.
Thanks to Michal Scheffer & Avivit Tamler, Department of communication disorders, Tel-Aviv University, Israel
Thanks to Massimo Maranzano
Thanks to Dr Gabor Toth Yokohama City University, Japan
Thanks to Martins Lauskis, Rigas Stradins University Faculty of Medicine (student).
Thanks to Dr Anne Kari Hersvik Aarstad Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen
Thanks to Professor Bevan Yeuh, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
Thanks to Dr Sefik Hosal
Thanks to Mateusz Kolator, Wroclaw Medical University Hospital, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Wrocław, Poland
Thanks to Choaib Adnane (Department of ENT, Ibn Rochd University Hospital, Casablanca, Morocco), et al.